Monday, September 1, 2008

When actually in Bologna...

Yeah, I haven't figured out what to do, now that I'm actually here.

I look back on the journey leading up to my arrival in Bologna, and I realize that it never really sunk in that I'd actually get here! I spent so much time preparing, almost a year filling out forms and getting my visa and making travel arrangements, then I was travelling in Ireland and in France, drinking Guinness and swimming in the Mediterranean... then all of a sudden, before I knew it, I was here! I live here, this is home sweet home. I'm still walking around this vast city in a daze, wondering how on earth I'm going to get used to it all.

I have pictures to post, I have stories to tell, but first I have an entrance exam to take (they have to make sure I can actually speak italian before they send me off to the university!)

One quick thing, though: It occurred to me that I don't have many of your e-mail addresses, so personal correspondence is kind of impossible at this point! I'd very much like to send and receive e-mails, so please please please send me an e-mail at kalensmiles@gmail.com letting me know your e-mail address (kalensmiles is also my skype username, for anyone who has it). This way, I'll not only be able to e-mail people personally but I'll be able to compile a mass e-mail list and remind everyone when I post. I'll also send out an e-mail letting everyone know my new address and cell phone number! I'm guessing my posts will be less frequent for a while, because I have a lot to accomplish in the next few weeks before classes begin at Unibo (University of Bologna).

*EDIT* Ok, I completed my entrance exam and it was a piece of cake... un pezzo di torta? Well, anyway, now for the fun part.

For the next three weeks or until I find an apartment, I am staying in a dorm with 9 other American students, all from various universities in California. So far, we're having a great time getting to know eachother and exploring this enormous city which is now our home. So far I've been too overwhelmed to take many photos, but I did manage to snap this one at a local cafe.


That's right, my very first Italian cappuccino. I could definitely see myself getting addicted to these things! The guy who made it thought it was hilarious that I took a picture - he leaned over the counter and whispered "Americana?" Apparently a smiley face cappuccino is nothing special here, but I loved it!

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't like coffee, but this was a damn good cappuccino. I've always wanted to enjoy a cappuccino - I love the smell, I love the foam, I love the way it looks... but normally I can't stand the taste. It's different here, it's so rich and smooth... mmmmmmmm.

If you're surprised by my new affinity for coffee, you will be especially surprised by the fact that I have given up my vegetarianism. My first night in Bologna, all of the American exchange students were treated to a very fancy meal at a famous Bolognese restaurant called Cantina Bentivoglio where I had my first bite of meat in almost 7 years... a delicious house-made mortadella. I also tried prosciutto crudo and a delicious salami - tiny bites of each, of course, to avoid getting sick. My favorite was by far the mortadella, which made me a little homesick for Berkeley and Adagia, where we often served a mortadella sandwich as a lunch special. I'm a little disappointed now that I never tried it!

Other than trying new foods and discovering my love for the cappuccino, I've been busily searching for an apartment. I've seen a few promising places so far - one looks especially nice, with a huge terrace overlooking the city! I'll post pictures when I find the perfect place, casa di Kalen, but it might take a while. Making phone calls about apartments has been difficult - I think I understand and speak italian pretty well in person, but it's a different story over the phone when I can't see the person and they're talking at light-speed.

I discovered my favorite place in Bologna today, Mercato delle erbe, a huge indoor farmer's market with all kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables, bread, cheese, fish, meat, etc etc etc. It's open every day, so I'm sure I'll be a regular! I also bought a yoga mat today and am looking forward to morning yoga on the balcony at my dorm. All in all, things are going splendidly but I miss everyone terribly! Please, please write me e-mails. I crave news from home.

Ciao, a presto!

Kalen

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Well, dear Kalen, you'll be hard-pressed to prove to me that "tsvcseko" is more of a palabra than "mznna." Mznna is so close to being a palabra, if you replace the z with an a you have "manna," which is one of the coolest words ever.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to tell Manola you think her lyrics are brilliant. Hopefully this will re-energize her desire to write more of this brilliance.

Well, I miss you, and I like reading your blog. Hope you keep living it up in Bologna, and that you find some really good bologna, so that you can doubly appreciate eating bologna in the city which bears its name.

Love,
Ryan

jkasmama said...

Hey baby--
I am bacl from Burning Man and the most unbelieveable thing happened while I was there........you ate MEAT !? OMG!!
Love,
Mom

Ryan said...

frankly, i don't think i've talked about poop enough. i'm unimpressed by your 0.00% of poop discussion in your blog. c'mon. everyone knows that the majority of things involving travel are somehow related to poop. fact of life.