Thursday, September 18, 2008

Choosing a home

In my last entry, I referred to myself as homeless. I was a little bit worried when I realized I had four days to move out of my dorm and still hadn't found an apartment. I was really hoping to hear from the guys I sang with, because their apartment seemed perfect. It had been almost a week, and I hadn't heard from them... so I decided to keep searching.

On Wednesday night, I went and saw two more apartments. Both were amazing, in very different ways. The best part of it is, I was offered both places! So, I found myself having to choose between those two or wait and hear from the one I loved so much. Mamma mia!

Let's recap:

Apartment #1: Pep and Giuseppe
This place was amazing. Pep is an artist, and all the walls were covered with sketches and paintings. He also plays guitar and sings. Pet snakes! Pet turtles! I would be rooming with an Italian girl who I didn't get the chance to meet but who is very nice, according to the guys. I ran into Pep on the street though, while waiting to hear back from him - he was really rude! He asked if I found a place, and I said no... so he said "well maybe we'll give you a call" and then turned his back on me to make a phone call. Just like that! Not the same friendly vibe that I'd witnessed the first time we met.

Apartment #2: Valentina
I walked in and was greeted boisterously by my six potential roommates. Everyone was laughing, cracking jokes and telling stories, and making fun of President Bush. There was so much energy in this place! I could hardly move, it was so crowded... but I could tell that all of these people were amazing friends. I called and canceled my next house-viewing appointment so that I could hang out with them for a little while longer. I'm not sure I could handle the constant chaos of that tiny apartment, though! Valentina called me the next morning and offered me the apartment, saying that I made a great impression on them and that they're all excited to live with a goofy American girl! Ha!

Apartment #3: Pier Luca
This apartment is beautiful. BEAUTIFUL. Pier Luca and his best friend remodeled it themselves, and it's on the top floor of an amazing building. He plays guitar and loves the Beatles, and my roommate would be a 20 year old Italian girl, also a student at Unibo. (University of Bologna!) There would be 6 of us altogether - me, 4 Italians and a Portuguese girl who is studying here for the year. The apartment isn't as central as the other two, but the walk is a pleasant one, down a beautiful and safe street. The other two are in the center of everything, in the middle of the noisiest, most fun and probably most dangerous neighborhood in the city.

So while still waiting to hear from Pep and Giuseppe, I saw Pier Luca's place and was offered the room immediately. Ten minutes after that, I saw Valentina's apartment and she called me in the morning to say that they chose me as well! Still hoping to live with Pep and Giuseppe, I called them one last time and they told me that they had chosen someone else. So, I was down to two choices. Valentina's party house or Pier Luca's serene getaway.

Oh, what a dilemma. I called both of them and talked to them a little more, I made a list of pro's and con's, I pictured myself in both houses. I tried everything, but both places were great. Finally, while chatting on the phone with Pier Luca, my gut told me that his apartment was the right choice for me. I just had a feeling. So, I went for it and promised him that I'll stop by in the next few days with the deposit money.

What a relief! I found a beautiful apartment, and I felt wonderful about my choice. Listening to my gut instinct was a good call. Valentina was disappointed but made me promise that I'll come back and visit them in their crazy bohemian flat. I'm not sure I could have handled living there but it'll be a great place to visit.

Then, this morning I got a very unexpected phone call from Pep, offering me the apartment. I was really confused, and asked him if I misunderstood when he told me "no" the day before. He said they'd changed their minds. I explained to him that I'd found another place, and he responded by asking me if I'd already paid. I said no, and he said "well, think about it and let me know" and then hung up! Again, just like that!

Half of me was tempted to bail on Pier Luca and live in my dream apartment with my turtles and snakes and singing friends. Their apartment is on Via Zamboni, right in the middle of everything. It's above a coffee shop! It's perfect! Yeah, half of me was absolutely pining to live there. The other half, however, was wondering how cool of a person Pep actually is - after making me wait over a week before hearing from him, blowing me off when I ran into him on the street, and asking me to bail on someone that I've already made an agreement with. That half of me was also in love with the beautiful apartment that I had already accepted.

Then both halves of me simultaneously realized - I'll be happy wherever I end up. Both apartments are beautiful, this city is beautiful, I'm here for a year and I can make the most of it regardless of where I live. I don't have to worry, and I don't have to break an agreement that I already made - something that would make me feel terrible. So, I told mister Pep to take his apartment and stick it where the sun don't shine - I'm living with Pier Luca! Ok, ok, you caught me, I didn't say it that way.

I love love love my place. I will post pictures when I move in on Sunday. My birthday also happens to be this Saturday, so I'm thinking of this as a birthday gift to myself. My first day as a
20 year old will also my first day in my new home in Bologna.

8 comments:

jkasmama said...

I am so glad you aren't homeless anymore! I can't tell you what seeing your homeless poster did to my mind....I am glad you followed your gut instinct. That's the way to go!
Love you-
Mom

Joy said...

Congratulations on the new place, it sounds amazing! Miss you and hope you have a splendid birthday celebration. Love,
Joy

Unknown said...

You know, I feel like you would be more at home in a more dangerous neighborhood, you were living in Berkeley after all...

also my word verification to enter this post was jalebt, which might as well be jail bait, which cracked me up.

Also I miss you.

Unknown said...

that last comment was me by the way, I don't know why my name came up as paint,

Love,
andrew

also, the new word verification was kwctvcjj, not near as funny as jalebt

Unknown said...

Hey Beautiful. I miss you... And im getting married a week from tomorrow. Sorry you cant see it and be there but I will post a ton of pictures on my myspace okay. well it sounds like you are doing good and having fun talk to you soon. Love you and miss you
~Krysten

Ryan said...

how exciting that you found your place! i guess you've learned from this experience that 1)making a poster will solve almost any problem and 2)people with palindromes for names (pep) just can't be trusted.

also, it's probably better you didn't tell pep to stick his house where the sun don't shine, cuz in most places of the earth the sun shines and least for a little bit. he would probably have to move underground to comply with your request, and even though he was kind of a jerk, that would be a lot to ask of him, i think.

alright, hope all is well in italia and enjoy making your home into a home!

love,
ryan

Jesse said...

So glad you found a plcae to call home! I think you made the right choice. The way I read what you said about Pep - I think he's a pompous ass! And, you could get yourself your own box turtle right? I'd send you one, but I don't think that would be nice for a turtle...

Marta said...

I'm glad you chose this house. Seriously:)