Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Farming in Sicily

I am currently working on a farm outside of Catania, which is on the eastern coast of Sicily. I thought it was hot in Tuscany, but as I got off the train in Catania I realized that Tuscany was practically a winter wonderland. Working on the farm here is really difficult sometimes, but we usually avoid the hottest hours of the day. We wake up at 6 or 7, work until it gets too hot to work anymore (usually happens around 11) and then rest or work inside until the evening. Yesterday, though, I woke up a little late and ended up working into the afternoon - burning wood. Yep, I was in charge of the burn pile, at noon in July in Sicily! I walked into the kitchen after several hours of that, covered in sweat and grime and dust and ash, and the other American WWOOF volunteer looked at me with an expression of complete horror, as if she'd never seen anything so awful in her entire life!

The funny thing is, I felt great. There's something really satisfying about being completely disgusting after a long day of work. If at the end of the day, I still look clean and smell nice, that means I didn't accomplish much!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to come back to work in Berkeley and stop bathing, or start rubbing food all over myself at the end of a work shift to feel like I worked hard. Haha! No, in fact probably the best part of being so incredibly filthy was the feeling of being clean again after a nice, long shower. This farm is less rustic than the one in Grosseto, so I have the opportunity to bathe every once in a while.

The name of the farm here is "Casa delle Acque" which would means "House of the Waters." The reason is that they collect all of their water from the river running down from Mt. Etna. To water the orange and olive orchards, they use an ancient irrigation system - it's over 800 years old! It consists of a network of stone canals which send the water from the river rushing through the orchard. It's really beautiful because since the orange orchard is on a hill, the water cascades down in tiny waterfalls, and forms little rivers leading to each individual tree. It's amazing that without using any hoses or sprinklers, it's possible to water hundreds of orange trees this way, using just the water from the river!

In Grosseto, the family does something similar, in a way. During the winter, they collect rainfall in huge tanks and then use it to water the garden. It's just such an easy way to preserve water and the rainy season in Tuscany gives them enough water to get through the summer. Imagine if everyone in the world collected water from a natural source like they do on these farms!

I wish I had enough time to post pictures of the amazing countryside, to write about everything I'm learning and experiencing, to say all the things I want to say... but I need to get back to work! There's actually no internet on the farm and the closest internet point is in the nearest town of PaternĂ²... an hour-long walk from the farm! Today Caroline and I made the journey for an almond granita (frozen almond milk) but it's getting hotter every day so I might not be able to post again. I love you all, though, and I can't wait to be home... just 2 weeks from today. Every day I feel just a little more excited.

:)

3 comments:

MeliD said...

me too.. two weeks seems like a really long time!~ i guess its better than a year. I cant wait to see u. do you think ur mom would be okay with me coming to the airport?

Jose said...

Haha I hope you have pictures of you covered in sweat and grime and dust and ash!!!

Kayla said...

hey if you see this, call me :)