Thursday, November 6, 2008

Si, possiamo!

I was riding my bike home yesterday morning, crossing Piazza Maggiore at 7:00 along with the first rays of sunlight, and it hit me - President Barack Obama. I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry, so I did both. I probably looked like a crazy person, racing through the piazza, letting out a whoop of joy as tears streamed down my face. (This is a picture that Leslie took of me before Obama took the election - so imagine me looking more or less like this, but much more disheveled after having stayed up all night.)
As much as I would have loved to be in the United States for this election, it was incredible to see the amount of support that Italians have for Obama. We were all crowded into the public library, hundreds of us, watching CNN on big screens, cheering and shouting "Si, possiamo! Yes we can!" I don't think there was a single person in the room who didn't support Obama. Most of the people there were Italian, and the few Americans were easily identified by our facepaint, which attracted a lot of attention.

When I say that we attracted attention, I mean it - I was interviewed on the local tv station Rai 3, and we were photographed several times. This photo of my friend Molly and I was printed in the Bologna-based newspaper Il Resto del Carlino! You can tell by our concerned expressions that it was still early in the evening...
Unfortunately I wasn't able to post the clip of me that was shown on television, but it was extremely short so you're not missing out too much.

At 3:30AM, when the library closed, I went to a friend's house and curled up on the couch with three of my friends to watch the rest of the election unfold. We were all exhausted - that is, until CNN projected Obama as the winner of the election, at which point we were no longer tired. At first we were ecstatic, and then speechless as we watched it all... watched McCain's extremely graceful concession speech, watched thousands and thousands of people in Chicago screaming "Yes, we can!" in celebration of Obama's victory, watched Martin Luther King's gospel church singing their hearts out, watched Rev. Jesse Jackson weeping in the crowd, watched Obama accept his victory in one of the most touching and humble speeches that I have ever seen delivered by a politician... it was beautiful. (It was also hilarious, because we were watching the speech live on CNN.com, but also dubbed in Italian on TV...)

I have never been so proud to be an American, so inspired by a president or so hopeful for the future. Yes we can! Si, possiamo!

Ahh, so exciting. Still hasn't sunk in completely, I think...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLLLLL YEAH! :D



-Kayla

jkasmama said...

My famous daughter!! How I wish I could have seen you on TV! It was so good to talk to you on election night and I am so grateful that Americ can't be Bush-whacked anymore!! GO OBAMA!! Si, possiamo!!
Love,
Mom

MeliD said...

yeah.. i wanted nothing more than to hear your voice... i am stoked... bummed out a little about cali, i had so much faith in us, but was completly shattered. NO ON 8!!!! I am going to a vigil tonight for equality. i wish you were here. it is really moving to see so many people involved in the process. i love you. have an excellent time. take loads of pictures, i am putting together a night where you must do a slide show... well i am not, but i will!!!! ::muah::!!!!

Ryan said...

i understood the title of your blog without the translation! given, it was only two words, but i feel very excited hehe. i think you described very well how it felt to be an american overseas, that mixture of sadness of not being able to be there but also jubiliation and how special it is to experience it in a different country and culture. and sweet newspaper picture!

p.s.--the word verification is "siongslo," which is like "sing slow," which is cool.
p.p.s.--possiamo reminds me of the word possum.
p.p.p.s.--i love you

Anonymous said...

Così Obama ha vinto. E' il nuovo presidente. Mi dispiace per il giovane e bel John. ehehe
Ora devo pagare la scommessa. Puoi chiedermi quello che vuoi...
Tu stai diventando troppo famosa... e magari diventi arrogante come me! hai anche il video del telegiornale per farlo vedere agli amici e alla tua famiglia! Che bei ricordi che avrai di questo anno in Italia...

A presto.

Anonymous said...

blog more.


-kayla